Call Now (800) 681-1295

Tax and reporting considerations of a foreign grantor trust

Table of Contents

    A grantor, for U.S. tax purposes, is any person that either creates a trust or directly or indirectly funds a trust. In order for a foreign trust to be treated as a grantor trust, the grantor must: 1) be alive, 2) be a United States person or become one within five years for funding the trust, and 3) any part of the income or corpus of the trust could be paid to a U.S. beneficiary. Thus, a grantor trust is any trust to the extent that the assets of the trust are treated as owned by a person other than the trust. However there are exceptions for certain revocable and irrevocable trusts.

    A foriegn trust will be treated as a non-grantor trust where: 1) there is a live foreign grantor that is a nonresident for U.S. tax purposes, and 2) the trust is either revocable, for the sole benefit of the grantor or the grantor’s spouse, or compensatory.

    A trust is treated as having a United States beneficiary for the taxable year unless, under the terms of the trust, no part of the income or corpus may be paid or accumulated during the taxable year for the benefit of a United States person or if the trust were terminated at any time during the taxable year. What’s more, The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) expands the interpretation of who is deemed to be a U.S. beneficiary of a foreign trust. The Act treats a foreign trust as having a U.S. beneficiary if a current, future, or contingent beneficiary of the trust is a U.S. person. Distributions to such persons as well as loans of cash or marketable securities to them or others (i.e. a controlled foreign corporation (CFC) or a foreign partnership of which a U.S. person is a partner) are categorized as payments to a United States beneficiary.

    Tax treatment for a foreign grantor trust is as follows. If there is a U.S. grantor than the grantor is treated as the owner of all trust income and taxed accordingly (taxed as a domestic trust). Conversely, if the grantor is a nonresident or foreign corporation, the trust is taxed under international income taxation rules. U.S. source investment income (but not capital gains, except real estate) is taxed at a flat 30% rate and income that is effectively with a U.S. trade or business is taxed at regular 35% U.S. rates. Nonetheless, treaty relief may be available based upon the grantor’s residence. As for reporting, a U.S. person who at any time during a taxable year is treated as the owner of any portion of a foreign trust under the grantor trust rules is responsible to ensure that the trust files a Form 3520A return setting forth a full and complete accounting of all trust activities and operations for the year and provides such information to any U.S. person that is treated as an owner or receives any distribution from the trust.


    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934