Call Now (800) 681-1295

Approaching deadline with IRS could cost you a minimum of $10,000 if missed… Or much much Worse! Yikes…

Table of Contents

    Date: 06/21/11

    Topic: Criminal Tax Defense

    Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts

    We have a rapidly approaching deadline of June 30, 2011, just over a week away from the mailing of this e-mail. This deadline is different than the vast majority of IRS deadlines in that the FBAR or TDF 90-22.1 (FinCen 114) has to be RECEIVED rather than mailed to the IRS by that date. I.E. if you mail the TDF 90-22.1 (FinCen 114) on June 30, 2011 if will be late and subject to a $10,000 fine. It has to be in the IRS’s hands (Delivered) by June 30 2011.

    This form could also result in penalties that could easily be a multiple of the funds offshore and could even result in criminal prosecution if the non filing of the form were found to be willful.


    You may need to fill out Treasury Department Form 90-22.1 every year if you own, or have an interest in, any foreign bank accounts or other types of financial accounts based outside the United States. This report is separate from your income tax return, although the two reports can be interrelated.


    You must report accounts you hold in foreign banks and other financial institutions if your total balance across all your accounts is $10,000 or greater at any time during the year. This is true both of accounts for which you are the owner and accounts over which you are not the owner but have authority to conduct transactions on behalf of the account owner.

    Income generated inside of these foreign financial accounts is also reported on your income tax return in the year the income is earned. You’ll report the foreign income based on the type of income being generated. For example interest and dividends would be reported on your Schedule B, capital gains on your Schedule D, and so forth. If you earn dividends or interest in these accounts, be sure to check the box in Part III Line 7a of Schedule B and indicate the country or countries where you have accounts. Additionally, any foreign taxes paid on your interest and dividends may qualify for the Foreign Tax Credit on Form 1116.

    Additionally, report each foreign financial account you hold on Treasury Department Form 90-22.1 (PDF, 8 pages includes instructions). This form is pretty self-explanatory. You will provide information on all your financial accounts held in foreign countries, such as the name of the bank or financial institution where the account is held, your account number, and account balance. Be aware that the Foreign Bank Account Report is filed for each accountholder. Married couples would need to file separate reports, and accounts having multiple accountholders or persons with signature authority may have several persons or businesses reporting the same account on separate reports.


    The following types of financial accounts would need to be reported on the Foreign Bank Account Report if you meet the filing requirement threshold:

    • Bank accounts (checking and savings)
    • Investment accounts
    • Mutual funds
    • Retirement and pension accounts
    • Securities and other brokerage accounts
    • Debit card and prepaid credit card accounts
    • Life insurance and annuities having cash value

    What types of bank accounts and financial accounts need to be reported to the Treasury is discussed in detail in 31 CFR Part 1010 and in the Treasury Department’s explanation of their revisions to these regulations that were published on February 24, 2011 in the Federal Register. I refer you to that document for a very detailed analysis concerning what types of financial accounts are reportable.


    Treasury Form 90-22.1 is due June 30th of each year to report foreign bank accounts owned in the previous year. The instructions for this form does not make this clear, but the foreign bank account report must be received by the Treasury Department by June 30th, instead of being postmarked by that date. Quoting from the Internal Revenue Manual section, “The FBAR is considered filed when it is received in Detroit, not when it is postmarked.” (The Internal Revenue Manual is an internal document outlining how work is processed.)

    What if you miss the filing deadline? You should file TD F 90-22.1 to report your foreign bank accounts even if you miss the June 30th deadline. Why? There are very stiff penalties for willfully failing to file this report.

    Late filers should file their FBAR as soon as possible and should attach a brief explanation of why you are filing late. While there are stiff penalties for failing to file the form, those penalties could possibly be waived or reduced based on your particular situation. Under no circumstances should you not file Form TD F 90-22.1, since that would be a willful failure to fail. According to an IRS spokesperson in Washington, DC,

    The law governing form TD F 90-22.1 “provides for a nonwillful penalty of up to $10,000 per violation for violations occurring after October 22, 2004. This penalty will be waived, however, if the person can show reasonable cause for the violation and if the person provides a late-filed [Form TD F 90-22.1] with the information that should have been reported earlier.

    “IRS will consider the facts and circumstances of each case in determining whether penalties are appropriate. Persons who have not timely filed [Foreign Bank Account Reports] should attach a statement explaining why the [Form] was not timely filed.”

    In the time since I first sourced that hopeful-sounding quotation, the IRS has become increasingly austere in its enforcement of the foreign bank reporting requirements, and the IRS has started imposing very stiff penalties on taxpayers who have failed to file the FBAR and also failed to report their foreign-source income.

    The IRS is currently conducting a voluntary disclosure initiative for people who need to file late foreign bank account reports and need to report previously undeclared foreign income. This Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative has a deadline of August 31, 2011.

    Persons who are considering this voluntary disclosure program should consult with a tax attorney before participating in this IRS program.


    Mail your completed and signed TD F 90-22.1 to the Treasury Department at the following address:

    Department of the Treasury
    Post Office Box 32621
    Detroit, MI 48232-0621

    Do not mail TD F 90-22.1 with your tax return, and do not mail the form to the IRS.

    You can, however, hand-deliver TD F 90-22.1 to any local office of the Internal Revenue Service, and they will forward the form to the Department of the Treasury for processing. Many US embassies will also accept your foreign bank account report, and they will forward it to the Treasury. FBARs cannot, as yet, be filed electronically with the Treasury.


    You can obtain TD F 90-22.1 (PDF, 8 pages) along with instructions for filling out the form from the IRS Website.


    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934