Call Now (800) 681-1295

Breaking News: Foreign Social Security Accounts Not Subject to FBAR

Table of Contents

    A quiet update to the IRS website that was discovered by the tax professionals at the Tax Law Offices of David W. Klasing has provided tremendous opportunity for our clients. The update, which specifies what need and needn’t be reported on Form 8938 (Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets) and FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR), clarifies that social security benefits from a foreign jurisdiction are not assets that must be disclosed to the federal government as part of the strict FBAR requirements.

    The Old IRS Position

    As of last week, it was the position of the Service that social security-type payments were like foreign trusts, of which the U.S. taxpayer receiving periodic payments was the beneficiary. Based on that view, U.S. taxpayers were required to include the payments (much like they would a foreign trust) on their Form 8938 and FinCEN Form 114. But as we have discovered, that is no longer the case.

    The IRS justified their previous position by taking the stance that, much like a beneficiary of a foreign trust, a U.S. taxpayer that receives guaranteed periodic payments from a social security account has an interest in the account that requires reporting under FBAR and other disclosure laws. The willful failure to disclose the account(s) can result in an IRS criminal investigation leading to felony criminal charges and huge fines and penalties. Furthermore, the U.S. government hasn’t been shy in going after anyone and everyone for failure to disclose such accounts.

    Lastly, this change in stance by the Service may allow for different income tax treatment with regard to foreign social security benefits. Before this news, the IRS sometimes required taxpayers to pay taxes on income in a social security account even if the money was not actually paid to the taxpayer unless exempted via Tax Treaty. It appears that this type of treatment of social security benefits may be a thing of the past.

    Take Advantage of the Change Today

    At the Tax Law Offices of David W. Klasing, it is our goal to put you in the best financial position possible. This new breaking news will allow us to reach that goal with more ease and efficiency. If you have interest in a social security account in a foreign country, come and see us as soon as you can. The time to take advantage of this new development is now. We will do everything in our power to put you in the best financial situation possible while working within the bounds of the law. Contact the Tax Law Offices of David W. Klasing today at 800-681-1295 for a reduced-rate consultation.

    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934