Call Now (800) 681-1295

Santa Barbara International Tax Attorney

Awards & Recognition

irs audit lawyer
tax attorney
irs audit lawyers
tax attorneys
tax audit
Table of Contents

    Unlike most countries, the United States follows a system of citizenship-based taxation (CBT), which means moving overseas does not release you from your federal tax filing duties. No matter where you physically reside, you are generally required to file a U.S. income tax return and pay federal income tax if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien for tax purposes. This includes dual citizens and “Accidental Americans,” retirees who are living abroad, military members who are stationed or deployed overseas, and other international taxpayers.

    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), and other government agencies aggressively enforce compliance with international U.S. tax requirements, such as the requirement for certain U.S. persons to file FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR). Our Santa Barbara tax attorneys possess more than 20 years of experience aiding individual taxpayers and business entities with complex international tax issues, ranging from FBAR audit and IRS appeals representation, to the making of voluntary disclosures, to international estate planning, to tax planning and compliance for expats and citizens abroad. Contact the Tax Law Office of David W. Klasing online to arrange a reduced-rate tax consultation, or call our international tax attorneys in Santa Barbara at (805) 200-4053.

    What is the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) and How Can it Reduce My Taxes?

    Eligible U.S. citizens and resident aliens may exclude foreign earnings from their taxable income, subject to certain limits set by federal law. These limits, which fluctuate from year to year to account for inflation, are as follows:

    • For 2018 – Up to $103,900
    • For 2019 – Up to $105,900
    • For 2020 – Up to $107,600

    Known as the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE), this tax benefit can translate to substantial savings. If you were paid an hourly wage or annual salary to provide “personal services,” you could qualify to claim the FEIE, though there are various exceptions for military pay, “pay for services conducted in international waters or airspace,” and other exceptions. It is also important to be aware that any attempts to claim the FEIE improperly – for instance, on the basis of foreign residence alone – will likely lead to the imposition of penalties, as discussed in detail here.

    In addition to or as an alternative to the FEIE, some taxpayers may be eligible for related tax benefits, such as the foreign housing exclusion, foreign housing deduction, or the Foreign Tax Credit (FTC). To learn more about these benefits for international taxpayers, refer to the following FAQs:

    Do U.S. Citizens Have to Report Foreign Bank Accounts to the IRS?

    Some taxpayers reside in the United States but have bank accounts or other financial accounts in other countries. Like taxpayers who live abroad, U.S. residents must also report offshore income and accounts to the IRS. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you may be responsible for filing an FBAR (FinCEN Form 114).

    Certain types of accounts and assets are exempt from FBAR disclosure requirements. For purposes of FBAR, examples of reportable foreign assets include:

    • Accounts held with foreign branches of U.S. banks
    • Foreign checking accounts
    • Foreign mutual funds
    • Foreign savings accounts
    • Foreign-issued life insurance

    By comparison, some examples of non-reportable foreign assets include:

    • Accounts held with U.S. branches of foreign banks
    • Foreign currency (if held directly)
    • Foreign government benefits comparable to Social Security benefits
    • Foreign partnership interests
    • Foreign real estate (if held directly or through a foreign entity)

    Santa Barbara International IRS Tax Lawyer for U.S. Expats + Citizens Abroad

    If you have unreported offshore income or assets, need help filing an FBAR or tax return, have questions about avoiding double-taxation on worldwide income, or need assistance preparing for a foreign account tax audit, turn to the IRS tax attorneys at the Tax Law Office of David W. Klasing. With offices in Santa Barbara and additional locations, we provide 24-hour tax services for expats, dual citizens, nonresidents, military servicemembers, retirees living abroad, and other taxpayers abroad.

    Contact us online today to set up a reduced rate consultation or call the Tax Law Office of David W. Klasing in Santa Barbara at (805) 200-4053.

    Please note all meetings at our Santa Barbara office are by appointment only.See our 2011 OVDI Q and A Library

    See our FBAR Compliance and Disclosure Q and A Library 

    See our Foreign Audit Q and A Library

    International Taxation FAQs

    Note: If you have concerns about the privacy of our initial or subsequent communication and are unable to easily travel to our Irvine / Orange County Main Office, consider scheduling a GoToMeeting to safely and securely establish an initial or maintain an existing attorney client relationship.  With end-to-end encryption, strong passwords and top-rated reliability, no one is messing with your meeting. To schedule a reduced rate initial consultation via GoToMeeting follow this link.   Call our office and request a GoToMeeting if you are an existing client. We are generally happy to travel to any of our appointment only satellite offices for a subsequent meeting in appropriate circumstances once a relationship is established via a signed engagement letter and the payment of an initial retainer or where enough retainer is available where a current client to cover the reasonable travel time and time required for the meeting.

    Will it cost me more to hire the Tax Law Offices of David W. Klasing, who’s main office and the vast majority of the firm’s staff is located in Irvine California, but an appointment only Satellite office is close to my location, as opposed to a local company?  Absolutely not!  See our policies that address this issue here.

    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    tax lawyers

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934