Call Now (800) 681-1295

Tax Services for Ministers and Clergy

Awards & Recognition

irs audit lawyer
tax attorney
irs audit lawyers
tax attorneys
tax audit
Table of Contents

    This page is for informational purposes only as this service is no longer offered by our firm. If you’d like representation for ministers and clergy tax services, please contact Ron Blue, CPA for more information.

    Regardless of one’s profession, social standing or community involvement all US citizens and residents have tax reporting, income reporting and tax payment obligations. However, certain professions and statuses can confer special tax treatment on an individual, organization or entity. For instance pastors, ministers and other members of the clergy require specialized tax treatment by the IRS. At the Tax Law Offices of David W. Klasing in Irvine, I provide tax services for ministers and clergy and understand the tax implications of being the member of a religious organization.

    Special Tax Rules for Ministers, Clergy, Pastors and Rabbis

    There are special tax rules that apply to churches and ministers (e.g. priests, pastors, and rabbis). The IRS has its own special criteria to determine whether someone is a “minister” for federal tax purposes; and that criteria may differ from one’s church (or synagogue). Thus, it is important for churches and clergy to inform themselves whether their clergy satisfies the IRS’s criteria. This site discusses those criteria.

    California Tax Law OfficesIn general, an individual is considered to be a minister if he or she is, “duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed by a religious body constituting a church or church denomination.” Furthermore to be considered a minister the individual must hold the authority to conduct religious services, is authorized to perform sacerdotal functions, and administer sacraments as per the doctrine and practices of the religious institution. Furthermore for religious orders that may ordain some ministers while licensing or commissioning others, to be considered a minister for purposes of taxation & withholding the individual must be permitted to perform all, or nearly all, of the functions that an ordained minister would be permitted to carry out.

    Why is it important to know whether you can qualify as a minister?

    The reason why it is important for a person to know whether he or she qualifies as a “minister” under the IRS’s criteria is because ministers are subject to both special income tax rules and tax reporting requirements. To mention just a few examples, ministers are subject to special rules relating to: (1) whether they are eligible to avoid taxation on their “housing allowance;” (2) whether they are deemed “self-employed” or an “employee” for Social Security purposes; and (3) whether their wages are subject to income tax withholding.

    Perhaps one of the most confusing things is that most ministers have a dual tax status. That is, they are employees for purposes of federal income tax, but they are self-employed for purposes of computing Social Security tax. As explained more on this site, certain implications follow from this—and often there are certain tax advantages of being one over the other. As explained elsewhere on this site, we sort out this potential confusion.

    Put our tax experience to work for you

    As a practical matter, it is important that a minister properly comply with the special tax and reporting rules, otherwise he or she may find himself or herself subject to audit by the IRS and with an asserted tax deficiency (tax liability). We can address potential concerns regarding a minister’s unique privileges and benefits in regard to income, Social Security and Medicare for tax purposes. With proper planning, our office can help avoid an unfavorable consequence after nasty IRS audit. And even if a minister has already been audited by the IRS and been found to owe more tax, our office may be able to help with that, too.

    Tax law attorney and CPA David W. Klasing has achieved an advanced degree in tax law. When you receive advice from Mr. Klasing or one of the experienced tax lawyers and knowledgable on tax services for ministers of the Tax Law Offices of David W. Klasing, you can rest assured that the tax advice has been thoroughly researched and fully-considered. To schedule a reduced-rate consultation, call 800.681.1295 today.

    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    tax lawyers

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934