Call Now (800) 681-1295

What Tax Treatment Can I Expect for Divorce Property Transfers outside the Scope of §1041?

Table of Contents

    Section 1041 does not apply across the board to every possible transfer between spouses. The internal revenue code specifically contains exceptions that lead to transfers between H and W that do not qualify for 1041. Case law and IRS guidance continually defines and adjusts the reach and application of Section 1041.  Where a transfer is removed from the reach of § 1041, the IRC may dictate the tax treatment that will apply to a transfer rather than the non-recognition (gift) provisions of § 1041. Where neither § 1041 and the IRC does not dictate alternative tax treatment, a common law doctrine might control.

    §1041 Does Not Apply to Negative Basis Property

    Section 1041 does not apply to transfers of negative basis property to trusts for the benefit of an ex-spouse incident to divorce. While § 1041 would appear to apply to a transfer of negative basis property in trust between H and W or formerly married parties where the transfer is incident to divorce, § 1041(e) overrides the normal non-recognition “gift” treatment of 1041 and requires the transferor spouse to recognize a gain where the liabilities transferred exceed the adjusted tax basis of the property transferred in trust. The basis of the property funded to the trust is increased by any gain so recognized.

    An exception to § 1041(e) appears to exist for grantor trusts. In PLR 9230021, the IRS opined that the grantor transferor spouse that remained fully taxable under § 674 was not required to recognize gain upon transferring a partnership interests that had liabilities in excess of the transferor spouses’ partnership basis to a trust he created for the benefit of his ex-spouse.

    §1041 Does Not Apply to Negative Basis Partnership Interests

    Ordinarily when a partner’s allocable share of a partnership’s liabilities is greater than the adjusted basis of his partnership interest and he or she transfers this negative basis property to a third party a taxable gain would result.  Such a transaction will receive non recognition “gift” treatment under § 1041 if between former spouses and incident to a divorce. The same is true where only a portion of a spouse’s negative basis partnership interest is transferred between former spouses and incident to divorce.

    Careful planning as to whether a transfers of negative basis property to an ex-spouse outright or in trust will have adverse income tax ramifications is necessary, but it may be possible to plan and structure around potential income tax problems.

    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    tax lawyers

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934