Call Now (800) 681-1295

FBAR Questions

Table of Contents

    Q44: If I had an FBAR reporting obligation for years covered by the voluntary disclosure, what version of the Form TD F 90-22.1 should I use to report my interests in foreign accounts?

    A44: Taxpayers should use the most current version of Form TD F 90-22.1, for filing delinquent FBARs to report foreign accounts maintained in prior years. At this time, the most current version is the one that was revised in October 2008. The taxpayer may, however, rely on the instructions for the prior version of the form (revised in July 2000) for purposes of determining who must file to report foreign accounts maintained during the 2009 and prior calendar years. Taxpayers may rely on guidance that was applicable for prior FBAR filing seasons (e.g., IRS Announcement 2010-16 or IRS Notice 2010-23) in determining their FBAR reporting obligations.

    Q45: A taxpayer has two offshore accounts. No FBARs were filed. The taxpayer reported all income from one account but not the other. Mechanically, how does the taxpayer report this? Does the taxpayer report both accounts as a voluntary disclosure or bifurcate it into a delinquent FBAR filing for the reported account and a voluntary disclosure for the unreported account?

    A45: Because the annual FBAR requirement is to file a single report reporting all foreign accounts meeting the reporting requirement, it is not possible to bifurcate the corrected filing. The taxpayer should make a voluntary disclosure for the omitted income and include the delinquent FBARs with respect to both accounts. The account with no income tax issue is unrelated to the taxpayer’s tax noncompliance, so no penalty will be imposed with respect to that account.

    Q46: If a taxpayer is uncertain about whether he is required to file an FBAR with respect to a particular foreign account, how can the taxpayer get help with this question?

    A46: Help with questions about FBAR filing requirements is available on the FBAR Hotline at 1-800-800-2877. Select option 2. You can also submit written questions about the FBAR rules by e-mail addressed to [email protected]. The instructions to the FBAR form are available at Do not call the IRS OVDI Hotline with questions about whether you have an FBAR filing requirement. The purpose of the Voluntary Disclosure Hotline is to answer questions about how to make voluntary disclosures and what penalties apply, assuming a taxpayer was required to file.


    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934