Call Now (800) 681-1295

Disagreeing with business audit conclusions

Table of Contents

    In general, if you disagree with the auditor’s conclusions after he conducts a sales tax audit of your business, you have a few possible remedies. We discuss them in turn.

    First, obviously, you can discuss with the auditor how he reached his or her conclusions, and see if an agreement can be reached. The effectiveness of this strategy is often limited. Auditors often take pride in their craft, so questioning their conclusions can be viewed as questioning their professional ability. That said, this will not be true in every case, and sometimes having a straightforward conversation with the auditor can prove effective.

    Second, if you still disagree with the auditor’s conclusions, you can discuss the matter with their Board of Equalization audit supervisor. During this meeting, you will explain where you disagree with the auditor’s findings, and indicate ways the disagreement can be resolved. The supervisor will discern whether the audit findings require adjustments. After he or she presents those adjustments to you, you can state any disagreements you still may have.

    Shortly after this meeting, the supervisor will issue a Report of Field Audit (or a Report of Investigation), which is “the auditor’s statement of findings and recommendations,” or determination. See Section 201.06 of the BOE’s Handbook: Following the issuance of the Report of Field Audit, you may meet with a Board representative if you continue to disagree with the findings. You will have 10 days after the issuance of the letter to make an appointment with a BOE representative to discuss any disagreements you may have. If your matter remains unresolved, a “Notice of Determination” will be issued.

    Third, at this point, you may file a “Petition for Redetermination” provided it is done within 30 days of the issuance of a Notice of Determination. Form BOE-416 may be used for this purpose. See: The details of filing an appeal for a sales or use tax audit are documented in BOE Publication 17, which is accessible here:

    On your Petition, you should indicate whether, in addition to an Appeals Hearing, you desire to have an Appeals Conference. Normally you will be required to go through an Appeals Conference, even if you did not specifically request one. After the appeals conference, the Appeals Division will prepare a Decision and Recommendation containing an analysis, conclusion, and recommendation for the resolution of your case.

    Fourthafter your formal appeal (with the Petition for Redetermination), you can request a hearing before the Board of Equalization. The Board hearing is your opportunity to present oral arguments regarding unresolved matters. You, your attorney, accountant, or another person such as a company executive may represent you. The Board will then make its decision and, about 45 days afterward, will send you a Notice of Redetermination, Notice of Refund, or a different notice. If you dispute the Notice of Redetermination, you can file a petition for rehearing. The Notice of Redetermination indicates whether you owe any tax, fees, penalties, or interest.

    Fifth, you can file a claim for refund. However, as a requirement for a refund claim, you must first pay the amount the Board determines you owe even if you disagree. You can then collect that amount if you prevail on the refund claim.

    Sixth, if the Board denies your claim for refund, you can continue your tax appeal by filing a lawsuit for a refund in court. A refund suit must be filed within 90 days after the Board mails its Notice of Denial of Claim for Refund.

    Tax Help Videos

    Representing Clients from U.S. and International Locations Regarding Federal and California Tax Issues

    Main Office

    Orange County
    2601 Main St. Penthouse Suite
    Irvine, CA 92614
    (949) 681-3502

    Our headquarters is located in Irvine, CA. Our beautiful 19,700 office space is staffed full-time and always available for our clients to meet with our highly qualified and experienced staff of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents. We also offer virtual consultations and can travel to meet with clients in one of our satellite offices.

    Outside of our 4 hour initial consultation option, we do not charge travel time or travel expenses when traveling to one of our Satellite offices, or surrounding business districts, where it is necessary to meet personally with taxing authority personnel, make court appearances, or any in person meeting deemed necessary for the effective representation of a client. To make this as flexible, efficient, and convenient as possible, David W. Klasing is an Instrument Rated Private Pilot and Utilizes the Firms Cirrus SR22 to service client’s in California and in the Southwest by air. Offices outside these areas are serviced via commercial jet airlines. None of these costs are charged to our clients.

    Satellite Offices

    (310) 492-5583
    (760) 338-7035
    (916) 290-6625
    (415) 287-6568
    (909) 991-7557
    (619) 780-2538
    (661) 432-1480
    (818) 935-6098
    (805) 200-4053
    (510) 764-1020
    (408) 643-0573
    (760) 338-7035
    (602) 975-0296
    New Mexico
    (505) 206-5308
    New York
    (332) 224-8515
    (512) 828-6646
    Washington, DC
    (202) 918-9329
    (702) 997-6465
    (786) 999-8406
    (385) 501-5934